dVerse — quadrille 105 — Blue Reign

on

Blue rain in a blue dream Painting by Elena Mosurak | Artmajeur“Blue rain in a blue dream,” by Elena Mosurak

Blue Reign

My bony knee’s
strong, stubborn,
crumpling your larynx.

I’m Hades’ magnet
sucking your qi;
your boom’s whimpered.

Such dark revelry for me
as your life slips away:
All Hail Box Crusher.

Stupid paralyzed crowd
is impotent to blue reign —
we kill as we please.

Linda Lee Lyberg is today’s host of dVerse.  Linda says:
Today, I am challenging you to write a poem with the word ‘SLIP’, as in slip, slippery, slipcover, cowslip, slipper, a slip of a thing, a slip of the pen, and the iconic Freudian slip. Use this word to help express your anger, sadness, joy, love, or outrage. The form we will be using is a Quadrille.

1. There is a monopoly for the blue to kill… but there have to be consequences… I wonder what will happen to your country…

I wonder also, Bjorn.

This is good.

Thanks, Sadje. I wish it didn’t need to be written.

I know, I think the situation calls for our outrage to be out in the open.

3. Heartbreaking and sad days we find ourselves living in. I too wonder what will happen to us. This is somber and cuts deeply Lisa.

😦 how much more can we pile on?

1. I know. I feel exactly the same.

4. kim881 says:

A beautiful blue image to accompany your quadrille, Lisa. The opening lines are surprising – the whole poem is surprising! I like the phrase ‘your boom’s whimpered’ and the oxymoron ‘dark revelry’.

It was written with a heavy heart, Kim.

5. Police brutality is a major concern in some states of India too. I was very sad when I read what happened in your country.

I think it happens all over the world, the blue reign of those in power with their hired thugs. Thank you for your condolences.

6. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice lines: “I’m Hades’ magnet
    sucking your qi;”

Thank you, Frank.

7. sanaarizvi says:

This is heartwrenchingly evocative! My prayers are with you!

Thank you for your prayers, Sanaa.

8. Gillena Cox says:

Oh this is dark

Happy Monday

much ❧✿❧ love

Thank you, Gillena.

This is a fresh approach to the violence that comes cloaked in blue. Well done. (K)

Kerfe, thank you.

10. Beverly Crawford says:

The blue who stood by are equally guilty. What manner of man can stand by and watch such an act? It’s become the tipping point of discontent and the violence in our cities is frightening. Reasoning citizens (who represent the majority) are aghast.

Agreed on all, Beverly. What freaks me out is how often it happens and that it continues to happen 😦

11. I like your take on the prompt and your usage of “blue” to discuss a serious issue. Well done.

Thank you, Arcadia.

12. calmkate says:

ouch graphic words to match that awesome graphic ‘blue’ art!

13. I see we went the same way tonight Lisa both writing about George Floyd. For me it is two days in a row. I am having a hard time coming to terms with what happened. I really enjoyed your poem and your reference to ‘blue reign’

Thank you, Christine. It’s difficult not to think about George Floyd right now. Just like Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, and all of the others before him. Their murders are like a gaping wound on our country’s soul that is never allowed to heal 😦

1. This one may just be the tipping point Lisa 😢

14. lifelessons says:

Wow, this is so powerful, Lisa.. and so ironic with it’s mixture of macho and zen.

Thank you much, Judy.

15. That first stanza is so powerful, and then it goes on from there. It’s hard to comment on a poem that’s about such a difficult and disturbing subject, but this is very strong, and you end it with a punch.

Thank you, Sarah.

16. Vandana says:

Yes, can feel what the blue uniform is saying. Here in India it is the khakhi colour.

I’m glad you connect with it, Vandana. I wish it wasn’t so 😦

17. pvcann says:

You capture the arrogance and ego of the blue and the powerlessness of humanity, yet underlying is the feeling of rebuttal.

Thank you for your insightful comment, Paul.

1. pvcann says:

Very welcome Lisa

18. You capture the brutality in that first stanza. I can’t quite believe some of the stuff I’m seeing coming out of America over the past couple of days. Words just don’t seem enough for the sheer wrongness of it all.

I hear you. It defies belief. Thank you for reading.

19. Really difficult to add anything to above comments – this is the work of the poet, to express the horrors and beauty of life around it and translate it into an art that bypasses people’s defenses and allows them to feel and understand not only through heart and mind, but also through the aesthetic sense inherent in each of us.

Thank you, Christine. It was not easy to get the feelings on paper.

20. judeitakali says:

This is so eerie Jade

Jude it is an ugly, terrifying reality. We need to make it stop.

21. Lona Gynt says:

there needs to be a fundamental shift in police function, maybe a catch phrase would help them focus… hmmm let’s see… how bout “to serve and protect.” think we can get behind that? important poem Lisa

Lona, thank you. I think having mandatory bachelor’s degree would go a long way to mitigating the abuses, murders, wrong imprisonments, etc. Many police departments require a high school diploma and passing a physical agility test. The desire to carry a gun and a badge and to run fast is not enough and never has been. Character and psychological assessments must be done as well and happen annually. Police officers have one of the most dangerous and difficult jobs out there, and burnout has got to be off the charts.

22. A powerful, vital poem. A lot of strength in the opening.

Sara, thank you.