#SLS — “Tiny Little Things,” by Double Fuzz

Jim Adams is the alchemical host of Song Lyric Sunday.  Jim says:
This week we have the element prompts of Air/Earth/Fire/Water and hopefully this will fit for everyone.

Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

Calgary duo Double Fuzz is Jonny Whitehead, right, and Harvey Warren.
Double Fuzz is Jonny Whitehead, right, and Harvey Warren.

Double Fuzz is a brand new band for me, but they sure do have that power minimalist thing going on that is reminiscent of The White Stripes and The Black Keys. The two-piece band is comprised of Harvey Warren on drums and Jon Whitehead on electric bass.

From their kickstarter page:
Since bursting on to the Calgary scene in 2010, Double Fuzz has established itself as one of the most exciting and dynamic guitar driven duos to come out of Western Canada in a long time. Lighting the initial fire with the release of a 3 song EP, the group’s eponymous 2012 full length follow up, delivered a drive and intensity that leapt out of the riff laden grooves like a house on fire. The release also made it clear that the band wasn’t just a sonic force to be reckoned with; leader Jonny Whitehead was also staking his claim as a powerful songwriter, combining instantly memorable hooks with trenchant lyrics and a visceral delivery, in ways that immediately set the band apart from their indie rock contemporaries. Audiences quickly caught on and began to pack their shows and the media was quick to pick up on the excitement. From scoring the cover of Beatroute Magazine; to taking top prize in the X92 FM’s Xposure competition, 2012 was a real barn burner and by the time it was over, Double Fuzz had gone from relative obscurity, to the city’s leading ‘it’ band, without missing a beat.

Earth, wind, water, fire
Tiny little things on me
Make me do the strangest things you see

Can’t decide what’s right or wrong for me
Yeah, can’t decide what’s right or wrong for me

Earth, wind, water, fire
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl

Earth, wind, water, fire
Why you got to be so self-defeating
‘Cause everybody scared against the sea
‘Cause no one’s really shown what’s right for me
Can’t decide what’s right or wrong for me

Earth, wind, water, fire
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl

I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
I’m the guy and you’re the girl
Songwriters: Jon Andrew Whitehead

1. That’s a new one for me Li. Pretty good sound for just two guys 🙂

I hear you! Glad you like them.

1. Yes! You found a great little band!

2. New-to-me, but I like the funky jazz and rock mix! 🙂

Glad you like it, Nesie. The refrain has a good hook to it also.

Really good groove and a great mix. Singing and riff are really cool. Good find Lisa.

Glad you like it, Max!

4. willowdot21 says:

Hi Lisa what a great find, totally new to me and well you could not of picked a better song for the prompt…epic. 💜💜💜

🙂 So glad you like it, Willow.

1. willowdot21 says:

I really did 💜

Yes they are amazing!

5. Great music for just a bass and drums and I love the anguish in their voices. I think that I hear a synthesizer in this song also, as some of these sounds are not being made by a bass guitar or drums.

I don’t know about the production and don’t have access to more info than what you see in the post. Maybe they had others playing on the song? Or some intentional production distortion?

A little Rolling Stones flavor, no? Morphine, and 60s psychedelia too. Good sound. (K)

Glad you like it, K 🙂

7. Lisa Coleman says:

You nailed it this week! The lyrics hit all the prompt words. They seem to have a combination of sounds from the 60’s and 70’s rock scene. 🙂

They are definitely retro. To me they are just like The White Stripes and The Black Keys, a big retro sound with just 2 players and great vocals.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

It’s pretty amazing that they got that much sound out with just the 2 of them. 🙂

8. J-Dub says:

New to me. Thanks for sharing:)

🙂 My pleasure.

9. freefallin14 says:

I’ve never heard them before. I like the rawness of the song.