#SLS — “Savoy Truffle,” by The Beatles

Jim Adams always cooks up something tasty with his prompts on Song Lyric Sunday.
Jim says:
This week we have the food and cooking and eating related prompts of Baking/Bread/Cake/Pie/Picnic and hopefully this will fit for everyone.

Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.  If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

The Beatles 1968

This may not have any of the prompt words, but the spirit of dessert for a picnic is very much alive in this, one of my (many) favorite George Harrison (and the rest of The Beatles) tunes. There is a plethora of information out there on the album this is on and many interpretations of what it means, but none of that will be included here today. If you’re interested in learning more, information is easy to find.

Per wikipedia:

Savoy Truffle” is a song by the English rock group The Beatles from their 1968 album The Beatles (also known as “the White Album”). The song was written by George Harrison and inspired by his friend Eric Clapton’s fondness for chocolate. The lyrics list the various flavors offered in Mackintosh’s Good News chocolates… Along with Clapton’s guest appearance on the White Album track “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and Harrison reciprocating on Cream’s “Badge“, it is one of several songs that mark the start of a long-lasting musical association between the two guitarists.

The Beatles recorded “Savoy Truffle” in October 1968, towards the end of the five-month sessions for the album. An upbeat rock track in the soul genre, the song reflects Harrison’s return to the guitar as his main musical instrument after two years of studying the Indian sitar. The recording includes a Chris Thomas-arranged horn section.

I’ve included the original version with lyrics. After the lyrics I have included the version that Dhani, George’s son, did at George Fest in 2014.

Creme tangerine and montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes, you know it’s good news
But you’ll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we’re apart
Coconut fudge really blows down those blues
But you’ll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
But when the pain cuts through
You’re going to know and how
The sweat is going to fill your head
When it becomes too much
You’ll shout aloud

[Instrumental/Solo]

But you’ll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You know that what you eat you are
But what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know obla-dibla-da
But can you show me where you are?

Creme tangerine and montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes, you know it’s good news
But you’ll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Yes you’ll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Songwriter: George Harrison

Dhani Harrison | Wookieepedia | Fandom
Dhani Harrison

1. You covered every dessert in this unique Beatles track. I had forgotten about it but you brought it back to life with the backstory. Thanks Lisa, most enjoyable 🙂💕

I get hungry every time I hear it! I love the way it is put together.

You and I had George halfway covered on the White Album. I like Dhani’s version also.
    I like the brass in this song.

3. Wow, yet another Beatles song new-to-me!

I like it – nice choice! 🙂

Nesie, glad to introduce you 🙂 Glad you like it.

4. willowdot21 says:

I love the white album! It’s so eclectic. George was my favourite Beatle. He was by far the nicest and most talented of the four. Oh! And Dhani he is so much his father’s son , bliss. Thank you great choice 💜💜💜

It’s amazing how much Dhani sounds like his dad isn’t it. Eclectic is a great word for it. G is my fave also 🙂

1. willowdot21 says:

Yes I wonder if it is a burden looking and sounding so much like your dad 💜💜

5. J-Dub says:

Shimmy and chair dancing going on around here. What a fantastic way to start my day :). Also very nice to see son honoring his father. ❤

6. I always liked this song and the White album was my first Beatles album. I am planning to write about Badge for a SLS prompt on October 4,

Cool. Anything by Cream suits me. EC and GH had a long strange trip together. I’m sure they’ll be playing in the R&R band in heaven together someday.

I always loved the sounds of the lyrics to this. And of course a great song. (K)

I know what you mean, K. Wordplay at its finest.

8. Lisa Coleman says:

Brilliant choice! Dhani looks and sounds just like his daddy! Loved that you added that video too. 🙂

So glad you are pleased by the choice, Lisa. That whole concert that Dhani put together to honor his dad was SO GOOD!

1. Lisa Coleman says:

We have a Concert For George that was recorded in 2002 held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Dhani, Clapton, Ringo, Paul, Petty Jeff Lyn, and others. It lives on there. I put it on just now. It was on PBS for pledge break last year. Sooo good! 😊

I think I saw that DVD and wish I owned it. I think Clapton organized that one and Dhani organized the one that happened in the US.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

It was organized by Olivia (his widow) and directed by Clapton. Here is just a small bit of Wah Wah with everyone on stage and in sync which was incredible. I couldn’t find the full clip. It was the finale! https://youtu.be/r8gi7NmU-sQ

OMG that’s great, Lisa. I looked at all of the info at the youtube including the playlist and had forgotten how good this is. I need to get it! I wonder why Dhani did another one in the US?? He sure looks young in this one.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

It wasn’t just a memorial, it was a fundraiser so the second one might have been a fundraiser too.

I just looked up a review Rolling Stone did on George Fest back in 2016 when it was released:
                  “George Fest is a concert album put on by Best Fest, the traveling tribute-show series that has convened all-star tributes to Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Fleetwood Mac.”
                  Of course going down the rabbit hole, I went to the best fest site at https://www.thebestfest.com/ where it says:
                  “How it works
                  We throw a party, pull together our killer house band, invite amazing artists to join us, and give the proceeds to charity…
                  It’s a beautiful thing…”

1. Lisa Coleman says:

It certainly is! Great Talk! 😊

9. Love the original but I always feel that Dhani is trying too hard to be his Dad. A fine tribute but it doesn’t always work!

I think Olivia has a lot of influence over Dhani, and I think it pleases her that her son is trying to channel his father. I agree about the tributes. This one Dhani put together was excellent. He pulled in young musicians and unknowns instead of the usual. Eric Clapton was conspicuously absent…

10. Wow, I hadn’t heard that tune in such a long time I didn’t even remember it. And yet, I call myself a Beatles fan – well, go figure! 🙂

In any case, cool choice!

Also, I have to say the resemblance of Dhani to George is really striking – both visually and his even his voice!

Glad you enjoyed the tune once you remembered it 😉

11. Sheree says:

Never before heard of this track though I do love its title.

12. ghostmmnc says:

I actually have never heard this song! Pretty cool that George’s son sang it, too. Now I want a variety box of chocolates! 🙂

13. Good choice, Li! I loved George Harrison. Dhani looks just like him!

Yes he does ❤

14. missb says:

I enjoyed this! It does make you reach for that dessert or snack during or after😅

🙂 Very glad you liked the appetizer.

15. freefallin14 says:

Really nice choice. Dhani does sound like his dad.