Women Music March 2021 – Day 8 – Kim Deal

File:Kim Deal Smoke.jpg
Kim Deal

Kimberley Ann Deal (born June 10, 1961) is an American singer-songwriter. She was bassist and co-vocalist in the alternative rock band Pixies, before forming the Breeders in 1989. Deal joined Pixies in January 1986, adopting the stage name Mrs. John Murphy for the albums Come on Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa. Following Doolittle and the Pixies’ hiatus, she formed the Breeders with Tanya Donelly, Josephine Wiggs, and Britt Walford. Following the band’s debut album Pod, her twin sister Kelley Deal joined, replacing Tanya Donelly.

Pixies broke up in early 1993, and Deal returned her focus to the Breeders, who released the platinum-selling album Last Splash in 1993, with the hit single “Cannonball”. In 1994, the Breeders went into hiatus after Deal’s sister Kelley entered drug rehabilitation. During the band’s hiatus, Deal adopted the stage name Tammy Ampersand and formed the short-lived rock band the Amps, recording a single album, Pacer, in 1995.

After her own stint in drug rehabilitation, Deal eventually reformed the Breeders with a new line-up for two more albums, Title TK in 2002 and Mountain Battles in 2008. During that time, she would also return to Pixies when the band reunited in 2004. In 2013, Deal announced she was leaving Pixies to concentrate on making new material with the Breeders, after the band’s most famous line-up (Wiggs and Jim Macpherson had rejoined the band for the first time since 1995) had reunited for a new series of tours celebrating the 20th anniversary of the band’s hit album Last Splash.

In 2018, the Breeders released their fifth album All Nerve, the first album to reunite the Deals, Wiggs, and Macpherson since the release of 1993’s Last Splash.

Discography:
Pixies – 1 EP and 4 albums from 1987 – 1991
The Breeders – 3 Eps and 6 albums from 1990 – 2018
The Amps – 1 album in 1995
Solo – (5) 7” singles from 2012 – 2014

One thing to share: she’s a twin! Instead of any other interesting fact beside Kim is a serious musician, I’m including one youtube from each of her groups, including her solo work. As I know virtually nothing about any of these groups other than the names of them, if you know of better songs by the groups, please feel free to post them in the comments section.

1. Liam says:

I love Kim Deal. “Cannonball” was basically the theme music of my junior year of college.

Glad to know someone knows her. I like what I’ve heard so far.

2. Good deal! 🙂

While I heard of Pixies (though don’t think I know any of their music), I didn’t know about Kim Deal.

BTW, I’ve been enjoying your series!

I learned a lot about Kim just looking for info for the post. What I found most interesting is in wikipedia they’ve done a detailed breakdown on all of her musical equipment which is something I haven’t noticed on others. Glad to have introduced you to her. And thank you very much, glad you’re enjoying the series 🙂

I’ve learned more about her and the Pixies from Dave…I like a lot of their stuff like Here Comes Your Man…it’s great power pop.

They are one of the bands that were influenced by the Replacements and had greater success.

Cool and good to know. You’re becoming an expert on The Replacements!

Lisa…their story is so different than any other. Westerberg…you know I don’t say this a lot…but I would put his lyric writing up there with some of the best to some degree…you know I don’t say that lightly.
        I would have liked the eighties much more if I would have listened to them more…then bands like the Pixies and others would have fit more to me. I appreciate them all now.

I always liked Monkey Gone to Heaven (Pixies). Both they and the Breeders are kind of background music groups for me. I like them, but not enough to buy any of their music. (K)

Thank you. Seems she’s had a rough road of it.

5. Jeff Cann says:

Big Pixies fan. Wrote about them tonight.