Women Music March 2021 – Day 26 – Björk

Björk

Björk Guðmundsdóttir OTF (born 21 November 1965) is an Icelandic singer, songwriter, record producer, actress, and DJ. Over her four-decade career, she has developed an eclectic musical style that draws on a range of influences and genres spanning electronic, pop, experimental, trip hop, classical, and avant-garde music.

Born and raised in Reykjavík, Björk began her music career at the age of 11 and first gained international recognition as the lead singer of the alternative rock band the Sugarcubes, whose 1987 single “Birthday” was a hit on UK and US indie stations and a favorite among music critics. After the band’s 1992 breakup, Björk embarked on a solo career … while collaborating with a range of artists and exploring a variety of multimedia projects.

Several of Björk’s albums have reached the top 20 on the US Billboard 200 chart and she is reported to have sold between 20 and 40 million records worldwide as of 2015. She has had 31 singles reach the top 40 on pop charts around the world, with 22 top 40 hits in the UK, including the top 10 singles “It’s Oh So Quiet”, “Army of Me”, and “Hyperballad”, and the top 20 singles “Play Dead”, “Big Time Sensuality”, and “Violently Happy”. Her accolades and awards include the Order of the Falcon, five BRIT Awards, and 15 Grammy nominations. In 2015, she was included in Time’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world. Björk was ranked number 60 and number 81 in Rolling Stone’s 100 greatest singers and songwriters lists, respectively.

Discography:
Studio: 9 albums from 1993 – 2017
Soundtrack: 2 albums in 2000 and 2005
Compilation: 1 album in 2002
Remix: 6 albums from 1994 – 2015
Live: 7 albums from 2004 – 2015
Box sets: 4 from 2002 – 2009
Collaboration: 3 albums from 1990 – 2019
Other: 1 “juvenalia” album in 1977

Other things to share:
In addition to her music career, Björk starred in the 2000 Lars von Trier film Dancer in the Dark, for which she won the Best Actress Award at the 2000 Cannes Film Festival, and was nominated for Academy Award for Best Original Song for “I’ve Seen It All”. Biophilia was marketed as an interactive app album with its own education program. Björk has also been an advocate for environmental causes in her home country Iceland. A full-scale retrospective exhibition dedicated to Björk was held at the New York Museum of Modern Art in 2015.

Source:  wikipedia

1. ghostmmnc says:

Interesting and unusual artist. I’ve liked some of her songs, but the movie, ‘Dancer in the Dark’, is so good. I have it still on VHS. Strange one, but it will really tear your emotions apart. Have you seen it?

No I haven’t seen it. Sounds like the kind of movie I like, so will see if the library can get it for me.

2. You changed your website! I like it.

A couple months back, yes 🙂 Thanks.

3. Liam says:

I haven’t liked her recent stuff all that much but i was a hugh Björk fan back in the 90s & 00s.

She’s one I need to learn more about.

4. ‘It’s all so quiet. Shhh, shhh.’
    Certainly the most memorable Bjork song, for me.

Which one is that, Gia? I’m not real familiar with her music.

1. I got one word wrong. It’s actually called: ‘It’s oh so quiet’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLF-_Z8TK1k

Not what I was expecting! Sounds like a show tune! Thanks for the link 🙂

1. You’re very welcome. It’s definitely not a quiet tune.😁 It really is show tune-like.

I have liked some of the songs I’ve heard from here. She is not like everyone else which is good… Lisa I’ve been running behind.

I’m guessing Mom In-Law is keeping you pretty busy lol

Jen more than me…she is working her like the town pump lol

Oh no, that doesn’t sound like much fun. How much longer is she staying?

For a while…it’s an extended stay….It probably won’t be too long.

6. Wow! While I knew Björk had a following, I had not realized how much success she’s had. In part that’s probably because I never paid any attention to her music, which isn’t so much my cup of tea.

I want to see her movie. Maybe a better actress than singer?