A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 26 — CraZed Institution, from Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll, Too Young to Die

Z letter_scaled

And here we are, at the 26th day of 2021’s A to Z Challenge.  It’s been a blast to create the daily posts and to read such enjoyable offerings from so many.  Thank you for reading about the fabulous Jethro Tull and listening to some of their best tunes, commenting and for making the A2Z trail such a fun walk every day this April.

Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young to Die! is their ninth studio album, recorded in December 1975 and released in 1976.

DaveConn at Prog Archives has this to say about the album:

A few critics didn’t feel their toes touch bottom on this one, declaring it the deepest point in TULL’s mid-career slough. And they’re right in a sense, as “Too Old To Rock ‘N’ Roll: Too Young To Die!” is no better than “War Child”, “Minstrel In The Gallery”, or “A Passion Play”. But wait, you say, those are some of TULL’s best albums! Exactly, and you can add this to the list. Ian had traded in his minstrel’s cap for a playwright’s pen, creating a fictional character (Ray LOMAS) who goes from quiz show contestant to jilted lover to motorcycle martyr. The songs are largely acoustic, orchestrated in several spots (none more stunning then the theme first introduced on “Quizz Kid” and fully explored on the title track), suggestive of “Minstrel”‘s “One White Duck” more than anything. The album also marked the first album without JEFFREY since “Aqualung”, who was replaced by the equally talented John GLASCOCK. GLASCOCK’s bass work is more pointed than Hammond’s (or Hammond-Hammond if you prefer), standing in sharper relief to the rhythms of Barriemore Barlow. Against this backdrop are splashed the dry colors of Ian Anderson’s acoustic guitar and Martin Barre’s acrid electric guitar. John EVAN’s piano is given a smaller role in the music, which makes Too Old To Rock ‘N’ Roll a drier drink than past albums. But if it all feels like a faded flower pressed in an old book, “Too Old” is still too good not to earn our admiration. “From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser” and “Too Old To Rock ‘N’ Roll, Too Young To Die” pull us right into the heart of the story, while “Crazed Institution” and “Quizz Kid” are good fun for malcontents everywhere.

Gatot says:

The first three tracks “Quizz Kid”, “Crazed Institution”, and “Salamander” demonstrate the band’s sound with great acoustic guitar work.

ZowieZiggy says:

“Crazed Institution” is a folk accoustic ballad: not worse than several other ones the Tull has produced in its early days. “Join the crazed institution of the stars. Be the man that you think (know) you really are.”

Chicapah says:

“Crazed Institution,” a great song that demonstrates they still had an adventurous spirit and it’s a throwback, if you will, to the prog attitude they grabbed me with on “Stand Up.” I find the array of instruments from Anderson’s flute to David Palmer’s saxophone to John Evans’ piano that bounce in and out of the number engaging. I also enjoyed Ian’s snarky line that goes “You can ring a crown of roses around your cranium/Live and die upon your cross of platinum.”

Source: Prog Archives

Just a little touch of make-up;
just a little touch of bull
Just a little 3-chord trick
embedded in your platform soul
You can wear a gold Piaget
on your Semaphore wrist
You can dance the old adage
with a new dapper twist.
And you can ring a crown
of roses round your cranium
Live and die upon your cross of platinum.

Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you think you really are.
Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you know you really are.

Crawl inside your major triad,
curl up and laugh as your agent scores
another front page photograph.
Is it them or is it you
throwing dice inside the loo
awaiting someone else to pull the chain.
Well grab the old bog-handle,
hold your breath and light a candle.
Clear your throat and pray for rain
to irrigate the corridors
that echo in your brain
Filled with empty nothingness,
empty hunger pains.
And you can ring a crown
of roses round your cranium
Live and die upon your cross of platinum.

Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you know you really are.
Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you know you really are.

Just a little touch of make-up;
just a little touch of bull
Just a little 3-chord trick
embedded in your platform soul
You can wear a gold Piaget
on your Semaphore wrist
You can dance the old adage
with a new dapper twist.
And you can ring a crown
of roses round your cranium
Live and die upon your cross of platinum.

Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you think you really are.
Join the crazed institution of the stars.
Be the man that you know you really are.
Songwriter: Ian Anderson

Bonus Video!

I found a pretty good video on ranking the albums. If you’re interested in exploring Jethro Tull’s studio discography, this might help you to know where to get started.

1. I should have that album title printed on a tee-shirt!

A great end to a series that brought back many happy memories for me. Well done!

Here’s my Z!

Keith, you should! Thank you very much and glad it did.

1. Frédérique says:

What a beautiful song to end your challenge! Well done 😉

Thank you, Frederique!

2. ahtdoucette says:

A fun and fitting end to a trippy trip! Great a-z!

Thanks, Anne!

2. Liam says:

Congrats on completing an informative and entertaining A to Z. What is your personal favorite Jethro Tull album or albums?

Thank you, Liam. Right now favorites are Aqualung, Benefit, Stand Up, and Thick as a Brick; however, I need to get ahold of Songs from the Wood as I have a feeling it will be added to the list.

3. I think crazed is a perfect description of this month, so this is a most excellent choice to end your series. I’ve enjoyed the introduction to new-to-me Tull songs and the reminders of the ones I know. And I’ve loved your coloring through the alphabet. Challenge well-played!

Many thanks, Deborah!

The music is straight Jethro Tull. That is one thing, since you started this, I’ve noticed…forget the trends of the day…they remained Jethro Tull. Many bands would have been wise to do that. Another good song.

I think having Ian writing all songs and singing and Barre on guitar it maintained continuity. Thanks for being a faithful listener this month 🙂

You will see me post a few in the coming months now. I never have before….thank you!

🙂 You’re welcome, Max.

5. Fandango says:

Congrats on 26 days of posting Jethro Tull songs and providing fans like me with some new memories and even some hidden gems I hadn’t heard before.

Thanks, Fandango! I enjoyed the trip also.

6. ghostmmnc says:

Well, I’ve learned a few things and heard some good music from an artist and band I’d not known much about. Thanks! Great theme for the A2Z this year. Loved your coloring pages, too. 🙂

So glad you enjoyed the series, Barbara. Thank you 🙂

7. Iain Kelly says:

Well, when this month started I had heard of the name Jethro Tull, but that was about all I knew about them. Now I feel like I’ve been through a journey of their whole career and music! Thanks so much for the tune each day, has been a little listen to look forward to each day! 🙂

This was great Jade. I had forgotten how much I liked this music. Thanks for reminding me again. (K)

My pleasure, K!

Interestingly, the library only has Aqualung, which I reserved. They’ve forgotten about him too.

😦 Does your library subscribe to hoopla or something similar? I’ve noticed they are going to digital music more and more, where you can borrow for a week.

9. Ah, another AtoZChallenge under our belts. I always had my earphones ready when visiting your site this month, Jade, eager to hear which song you had chosen to feature for the day. Thanks for all the entertaining articles and music.

My pleasure, Gail! Glad you enjoyed it.

10. Great finale to a series that has been a lot of fun read, Lisa, and introduced me to many Jethro Tull songs I had not heard before!

Thank you, Christian, and happy to oblige.

11. J. says:

This has been a great series. I’ve made a note of a few albums I’m gonna pick up.

Thank you, J. Glad you will keep listening to Tull.

12. lindafibergal says:

I must be OLD now since I am shocked when someone says they’ve never heard of Jethro Tull. Songs of my late teens ride through angst. Did get to see him perform in person at Interlochen Arts Academy several years ago. Found this fascinating article about him. https://www.nfaonline.org/docs/default-source/fq-issues/fqspring2020.pdf?sfvrsn=c6b90450_4 Your illuminated letters are wonderful. I will look back but wonder where they are from. You see I am a calligrapher along with my other artistic pursuits. Love your blog in general. Thanks for taking the ride in 2021. Congrats!

Linda, thank you very much for the link to the article. Interlochen in MI? I’ve been through there a few times and have heard many good things about the Academy. Was the concert outdoors? What a perfect setting for Jethro Tull!

All of the letters are from: Creative Haven Celtic Alphabet Designs Coloring Book, by Cari Buziak. You can find the book here:

Very happy you enjoyed the series and like my blog. Thanks again!

13. Anne Nydam says:

I was familiar with a few Jethro Tull songs, but this has certainly shown me lots more facets of their work! They are so talented and versatile.
    Congratulations on completing the challenge once again!
    Black and White: Z for Zerzura

Anne, so happy you enjoyed the series. Thank you much 🙂

14. I like what Keith said about having this album title printed on a t-shirt. lol Great end to an interesting music series. While Jethro Tull is just that interesting, I don’t believe his stuff will ever find a place in my library. Congrats on finishing up another year of A2Zing, my friend!

Cathy, so happy you checked out my series. Thank you!