Doodads — bike rides and kousa update

DOODADS BANNER

I decided to turn this manipulated collage image I did into a banner for Doodads.   Click on the images’ highlighted link in the captions to take you to a larger image.

resized kousa fruit with ai weiwei 100521
I had to go back to the dentist and used that opportunity to pick a ripe fruit from the kousa dogwood. Here it is, next to the one I picked that is still drying in the car. The guy on the button above is Ai Weiwei. I got the button when his exhibit was at the Meijer Gardens a few years ago. Yes, the tray needs to be cleared out.

resized kousa dogwood fruit seeds 100521
I was happily surprised at how good the kousa dogwood fruit flesh tasted! Here are the seeds found inside of the one I ate. They are a little larger than grape seeds and quite hard. Between the smallness of the fruit (about twice the size of a cherry) the inedibility of the skin, and the number of seeds in it, it is understandable why these could not be commercially harvested. I plan on drying these seeds and trying to sprout my own kousa dogwood trees. My dream: one day to walk outside and pick some for breakfast.

resized raindrops on pine needles 100821
It was raining this morning when I walked out to check the mailbox. I love the visual effect the raindrops on the tips of the pine needles.

group of swans in muskegon lake 100221
Swans in the lake.

resized at park along muskegon lake 100221
On my bike ride, taking a break in the park.

resized bear lake channel 100221
a channel to a small inland lake nearby. I really do live in paradise.

resized flowers along memorial drive 100221
flowers along the sidewalk on my bike ride

resized looking across muskegon lake 100221
looking across the lake

resized looking up at the trees 100221
on another break on the bike ride, looking up

resized muskegon lake 1 100221
pretty shot looking over the lake on my bike ride

resized muskegon lake looking north 100221
looking north across the lake

resized chipmunk on sunflower 100521
I saved the best for last. Earlier this week, on another walk out to the mailbox, I watched this little scamp run up the stalk of the sunflower and freeze for this perfect shot. I had never seen chipmunks climbing sunflowers before. He’s getting chubby for winter.

1. Dale says:

Lovely selection of doodads!

Why thank you 🙂

1. Ron Rowland says:

Ai Weiwei’s picture is posted all over Lisbon at this time promoting ‘Rapture’

OMG is that serendipitous or what. I hope you and your lovely wife plan on seeing the exhibit. It’s nothing like you’ve ever seen before. Looks like some of his most iconic work is there and some brand new pieces that he made right there in Lisbon.

2. The Hinoeuma says:

Nice pix! I snap pictures of the sky between the trees, too. I so wish I had waterways and boats like that around me. I do have a good-sized river close by but, it is hard to get to.

Water Wonderland is Michigan. I hear that Minnesota has even more (10,000) lakes! Thank you on the pictures. Sorry to hear your river isn’t easily accessible.

1. The Hinoeuma says:

There is one section of it with a Ford but, that is several miles away.

I’ve never been quite that far north. I’ve been to Manhattan, once.

Am I gathering that you live near The Hudson River?

1. The Hinoeuma says:

Eno River. The Hudson is in NY. I’m in NC. I have seen the Hudson from the air, tho…

What great land and water scape you have for biking.
    We had lots if chipmunks when I lived in Ohio. The only place I’ve seen them in the city is the Bronx. (K)

Yes when you can get to places where you aren’t at risk of being run down it’s pretty nice. The Bronx must have some kind of tree nuts they like that will fit into their cheeks.

It’s strange to me that our parks don’t have them. Just squirrels, raccoons, and rats. Probably mice too I would imagine since I’ve had them in several of my residences.

Kerfe, they live underground, so maybe that has something to do with it?

That reminds me how they used to dig under the foundation of our house in Ohio and it drove my father crazy.
            Rats live in holes, so I don’t think that’s it. Maybe they occupy the chipmunk niche here. I’d prefer it the other way around…

4. Your area looks lovely and great for bike riding!

It truly is, and this summer I learned that Michigan has 2400 miles of bike trails.

https://www.traillink.com/trailsearch/?mmloc=Michigan You can also search to see how many each state has with this site.

1. That’s neat. MI: 210 results; NJ: 81 results – so much for being called the Garden State! 🙂

5. Dora says:

Nice. It really is beautiful over your way. 🤩

What a lovely visual treat Li.

🙂 Thank you, Sadje

You’re welcome

7. Does the Kousa fruit taste like another fruit, or is it quite unique?

It’s got its own flavor it’s like a burst of sweetness but there is so little of it not a strong lasting impression other than that. It’s mushy but not in a bad way.

1. Oh, wow. In that case I look forward to trying it one of these days.

8. calmkate says:

great ‘taste’ of your day literally and figuratively … love that cheeky chipmunk 🙂

Glad to hear it. He drives my cats mad running past the sliders.

1. calmkate says:

lol an intruder on their domain … so protective of you 🙂

What did the kousa dogwood fruit taste like? Anything similar?

It had its own flavor, so little of it that it felt like a burst of sweetness in a mushiness that was pleasant. Probably the closest would be a juicy ripe peach.

Ok…that does sound really good. I wonder if a farmers market would have them?

I don’t think you’ll ever see them at a farmer’s market. From what I’ve read they need to be eaten right after picking as the fruit bruises so easily. You could buy yourself a kousa dogwood tree though and pick them fresh from the tree. They produce a lot of fruits!

Oh yes that is right! I read that on your blog. I think it was your blog.
            I gotta try it.